Monday, August 3, 2009

It begins...

6/07/09
This trip will be my first attempt at what is called "Self-contained" bike touring. The idea is to carry everything you will need along the way, on the bike, and turn it into a two-wheeled mobile home. I will be attempting to cross the country from the Pacific Coast (beginning in Astoria, OR) to the Atlantic Coast (finishing in Bar Harbour, ME) with a layover in Chicago for my cousin Cathy's and her fiance Tom's wedding on July 25. Congratulations Cath and Tom!
Total the trip is just over 5000 miles. I was expecting to take my time and average around 60 miles a day. As a result of my poor planning, I am getting a late start and will need to average about 75 miles a day if I want to make it to the wedding.
I begin my adventure tomorrow as I board a train which will take me from Chicago to Portland, OR. It will be a 45 hour train ride aboard the increasingly popular "Empire Builder" train, known for is scenic cross country route through Glacier National park.
Following my arrival in Portland, I will begin riding to the trail head of the Trans-American Trail in Astoria, OR. Everyone is familiar with Astoria as this is where the movie The Goonies was filmed. After spending some time with Chunk, Data and the rest of the gang I will follow Highway 101 South along the Pacific Coastline to Florence, OR. My route will take me through Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming (Yellowstone and Grand Tetons included), Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and finally Maine. I will be riding on the Trans-American Trail until I reach the Great Rivers Trail, which I will ride until I arrive at the Northern Tier Trail. (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/RouteNetwork.pdf)
I will be carrying the following:
Camping Equipment
-3 person Tent
-Sleeping Pad
-20 degree sleeping bag
-Sleeping bag liner (for cold or extremely hot nights)
-50ft. rope (for hanging up food)
-2 liter pot
-backpacking stove (thanks Jon!)
-utility knife
-dish soap
-sponge
-hand sanitizer
-Sham-WOW!
Clothes
-3 polyester t-shirts
-long sleeve wool shirt
-3 pairs of cycling shorts
-2 pairs of normal shorts
-thermal sweatpants
-3 pairs of cycling socks
-wool thermal socks
-polyester underwear
-rain jacket
-rain pants
Bike Equipment
-Jamis Aurora bike
-Jandd Extreme front bike rack
-Topeak Super Tourist rear rack
-Ortlieb Back-roller classic panniers
-Louis Garnier front panniers
-bell (Thanks Andie!)
-odometer/speedometer
-bike multi tool
-cone wrenches (13, 14, 15, 16mm)
-spoke wrench
-spare spokes
-spare brake and derailleur cables
-bike pump with gauge
-Helmet
-Bike shoes
-Safety Vest (good for visibility and directing traffic. Thanks Morrissey's)
-Sun Glasses
-Duct tape
-lock and additional cable
-spare tubes and patch kit
-cable ties
-chain breaker
-Maps
Hygiene/Health
-toothbrush
-toothpaste
-bar of soap
-gold bond medicated powder (like a millions little fairies)
-deodorant
-spf 85 sunscreen
-Benadryl
-Advil
-Chap stick
-water purifying tablets
-multi vitamin
Electronics
-Blackberry (for internet and entertainment)
-Camera
-Solar charger
There is plenty more stuff but I can't remember it all and I am sure you don't want to read my packing list. Total the gear weighs in at 75lbs, a lot less than I thought I would have.
Expectations of the trip include chaffing, a few bad stomach aches, probably some weight loss, sunburn, and most of all adventure. I am excited for the people I will meet, the things I will learn (hopefully not to much about bike repair) and being in the middle of nowhere. I anticipate that the trip will be physically and mentally challenging but in the end will be an experience of a lifetime.
I will update this page and check my email as often as possible. If you would like to contact me...
trucc903@gmail.com
...or you can add me as a friend on Google Latitude and track me as I ride.
-Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment