Friday, August 7, 2009

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

One thing I find interesting about traveling around the country, on bike or otherwise, is seeing how much thing cost in different places. For example, today I saw a case of 30 PBR's for just $10.99! I have bought a few 30 racks before but never have I seen one for less than $15. If beer had been this cheap while I was still in school, I would have a lot more money...or a serious problem. On the flip side, I didn't buy tuna the last time I saw it because it was $1.69, that's almost 5 beers in Kansas!

Another thing you can't miss being on the road in the summer is RV's, trailers, 5th wheels, and pop-up campers. Though they are a hazard to everything on the road it is fun to see their names and the ridiculous accessories that come out of them when they park. Most are named after cats or national parks liken The Panther, The Cougar, or Yellowstone. None of the animals that the names come from have anything in common with campers and why would you want to name something you are going to be living in after a predatory cat? My favorites are names which were clearly painted on by the owner and include Puma Unleashed, The Sloth, and Inefficiency. Accessories include full patio sets with grills and TVs connected to a dish...I think Direct TV needs to start targeting the mobile market. They are really missing out on a huge demographic.

The heat in combination with the humidity has really started to wear on me. Today I drank a total of 8 liters of water, a half gallon of orange juice, and 2 Pepsi's and only took one pee. If nothing else this is the best cleanse of my life. Even though the heat is much worse, I feel more comfortable when I do get into towns because the people here are very nice. Out West when I would walk in somewhere people would stare and the few I said hi to might say hi back, or they might just ignore me and walk away as quick as possible. The people in Kansas still stare but they'll joke around too. One woman today looked at me and laughed saying "nice shorts Mr. Armstrong". While stopped in a parking lot another woman came up to me and offered me some cucumbers that she was bringing to her mother. No matter how nice the people are though, I still can't wait to get out of Kansas.

Marcus

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marcus,
    We've enjoyed following your blog and hearing of your adventures. Congratulations on making it to the Midwest. Saw your photo at the wedding on your uncle's facebook site. Sounds like a nice break. Don't let the heat and humidity of the Midwest get you down. Things will cool down a bit as you get further North.Upstate New York and Vermont will be a great treat. Enjoy every minute. We're proud of you.
    Barb, Steve, and Emma Kerr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcus, As much fun as it is to read your blogs, it was even more fun to see you in person at Cath's wedding. Also, I'm guessing the difficulties in Kansas are directly related to that weekend. Don't lose faith, you're almost there.

    Love, Uncle Mike

    P.S. easy on the fat kid metaphors; I might start to take it personally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sir are a knight trudging through the lands of wheat and slack jawed yokels. The adventure is set, women will swoon, men will be green with envy, or they will call up friends to find a place for you to stay. You are friend of both peasant and clergyman. What class you display. Mother Nature is mans greatest friend and enemy. Mothers never know when to stop nagging; they are always full of wind. Ride well on your aluminum stallion. Adventure is always on the horizon for those brave enough to take it.
    Best wishes,
    Tone
    P.S. I think you are starting to understand the slack jawed yokel and small town a little better.

    ReplyDelete