Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hoosier Hospitality

I am a few short miles from the Indiana/ Ohio border and though I have only spent 2 days in the state, would call Indiana the most hospitable that I have ridden through. My first day here I was stopped by a farmer driver a truck full of grain. He asked where I was from and where I was going and told me about his trip to the east coast. Before he took off he said, "my moms house is the first one on the left after your turn up here. Stop in and get some water and anything else you might need, tell her Kevin said so." By the time I turned the corner, Kevin's Mom Francis, was waving in the street for me with a bowl of fresh peaches all cut up. I ate them and talked with her for a bit before heading on to Fletchers Lake.

When I arrived in Fletchers Lake I was confused as to where the campground listed on the map was. As I looked around a woman came out of her house and asked "you looking for the campground?" I said yes and she replied "you found it." I didn't think much of the place at first. It seemed like a bunch of trailers beside a small lake and I couldn't figure out why there were large white and blacked spotted rabbits EVERYWHERE! The womans name was Patty and she was kind enough to show me around and tell me what the story was even thought the owner of the campground wasn't around. She told me to come over if I wanted or after I got settled in. I took a shower and ate a bit before heading over to find her and her husband Terry out making a fire, feeding what I found out were domestic rabbits, and drinking ice cold Budweiser. We sat around and talked about biking and several random other topics while neighbors stopped over to say hi. Before I left to go set up my tent they offered to let me stay on their couch, I was hesitant at first but then thought to myself, "Fortune favors the bold" and accepted their invitation. When I woke up this next morning, Patty was making coffee. After a cup, she asked if I would like an egg and cheese sandwich. It was delicious! It was great to have good company and conversation to start the day.

Patty and Terry were 2 of the nicest strangers that I have met on the trip, if not the nicest. Most everyone that I have stayed with up until this point, I had some connection to either through friends or family. But these two were genuine strangers who took me in and took care of me for a night. Patty and Terry, thanks for the cold beer, hot food, and the comfy futon.

Eventually I headed out ready to get on the road. 10 miles in I broke and fixed my 3rd spoke. It slowed me down, but shit happens. I stopped in Deedsville shortly after where I met another Terry. He owned the antique shop that I was sitting in front of. We talked for a while about the area and the economy and finally about real estate. Terry said he bought a big old farm house on 40 acres(maybe a 3 bedroom, he pointed it out) for $2000! There is no typo in there, he paid $2000 for a house and 40 acres. That is crazy! The downside is that its in Deedsville and well, there is a reason its only $2000. I spent the rest of the day imagining what I would do with an old farm house. All I came up with was barn parties, ATV's, and digging my own swimming pool/mud pit. The first and only thing that I decided I would actually do with it was raise 2 ducks there, one name Klaus and the other named Esteban. My dog would be named Richie Tenenbaum and would adore his adopted sister Margot. I'm only serious about the ducks.

Tonight I am staying at the award winning Monroeville Community Center, where they have been hosting touring cyclists since 1975. They have a full kitchen, bathroom, shower, and washer and dryer. They offer it up free of charge and have hundreds of people stay each year. Its nice to be able to close a door behind you when you go to bed.

Thanks again to Patty, Terry, Kevin, Francis, and everyone else that has put up with me for a night or two!

-Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment