Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Terminus

On Saturday September 19th I rode into the Atlantic Ocean completing my bicycle trip from Portland, OR to Portland, ME. The trip took me a total of 3 months and 7 days, however I was only riding for 60 of those days. My total mileage was just over 4800 miles leaving me with an average of 80 miles per day, the high end of my original goal.

Before leaving I wrote some of my expectation in the blog:

Chaffing - I think that is an understatement
A few bad stomach aches - I only had 1 stomach ache but it was REAL bad!
Weight loss - I gained 5-10lbs and I finally have an ass that can hold up my pants without a belt.
Sunburn - Check. I also have the best farmer's tan in the world on my thighs.
Adventure - See previous 30 pages.

There are several questions that everyone seems to ask me:

What was the best part:
Even compared to all of the beautiful sights, interesting towns, and the joy of riding with a tailwind, the people that you meet are easily the best part of the trip. A fellow tourist said to me, "If you want to hear about all of the bad shit and terrible people in the world, read the newspaper or watch the news. If you want to meet some of the friendliest people in the world take a bike tour." I found this to be true everywhere I traveled. Sure there are always the jerks that pass as close as they can to you, and the idiots that shout things at you as they drive by, but for the most part everyone else is very kind. The best times were when people would take me into their homes, help me out when the unexpected happened, or just friendly conversation. It is surprising how much you look forward to any bit of human interaction when you are traveling alone.
Aside from the people, I would say the little pleasures in life were the best part. Things like a cool breeze and an ice cold Pepsi in the middle of a hot day, finding a place that will satisfy that ice cream craving you have had for the past 40 miles, a tail wind as your climbing a big hill, and of course, the rare moments when you manage to step out of bike touring mode and fully appreciate the world around you. I can list several specific examples of this, but my favorite was probably the first time it happened. On my 3rd day of riding, just after the sun broke through the rain clouds and I finished climbing my first really big hill of the trip(I believe it was called Mt. Manzanita), I stopped to look out at the Pacific Ocean and a small town below. Alone, sitting on the edge of this hill looking out at the sight in front of me, I felt a deep sense of appreciation for where I was, what I was about to do, and everyone that had encouraged and supported me. I remember feeling a deep sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. It was almost as if I was content stopping right then and there...but that couldn't happen. Another part of the trip that I loved was realizing that as others were busy dealing with the daily grind, while I was leisurely rolling through a remote part of the country with no obligations other than enjoying life and the world around me.

What was the hardest part of the trip:
Being isolated from the world and night. Before leaving, I remember being excited to be in the middle of nowhere all by myself. It was enjoyable. Some of my favorite times on the trip were when I was riding solo through Nowhere, USA, but that time only lasted until I had to get off the bike or stop riding for the night. Stopping in an empty campground or park and sitting alone night after night leaves much to be desired. Reading, writing, and updating a blog can only entertain for a short while. When you have empty hours each night and nobody around you become anxious for human interaction and in a weird way, frustrated with yourself. Some of the loneliest and most painful nights of my life were experienced on this trip, and not for any reason other than loneliness. Going to bed hopeful to talk or spend time with someone and finishing the next day without much more than a, "Hi there," is depressing to say the least. The first nights alone after riding with someone or taking a day (or 3 weeks) off and seeing family and friends were the hardest. Once you get used to being alone, you don't realize how out of touch you are and you forget about the loneliness. Physically, a solo bike tour is very easy; almost everyone can ride a bike and touring is just about persistence. Its only a matter of time before you get where you're going. Mentally/Emotionally though, bike touring is the most challenging thing I have ever done. We spend our entire lives learning how to fit into society, but rarely choose or even have a chance to spend days at a time isolated from the world. It was an especially drastic change for me, coming straight out of college where I was constantly surrounded by my best friends and in a place that became as familiar as the room I grew up in, then all at once I was alone in a part of the country that I had never been to. Its like preparing for a silent retreat by partying and going out to clubs, it is a refreshing welcome change at first and then just becomes scary. I guess the inverse would be preparing for a marathon by reading and discussing running for weeks. I have to thank everyone that was following my blog, keeping in touch with me, and supporting me in anyway along the ride, without you or the knowledge that you were supporting me, I would never have made it. Seriously, thank you!

What would you have done differently:
I would have trained more, found a riding partner, bought beefier wheels, brought a smaller tent, brought more money, brought something to play music on, picked out sites that I wanted to see and researched towns before visiting them.
To everyone I told I had been training prior to my start, I am sorry to say that I lied to you. I was NOT in shape before I left for Portland and the first few days proved that. My muscles ached a deep ache and for the first week or more I had a hard time standing up in the morning...seriously. The only real training I did before leaving was a 35 mile ride with no weight and and 66 mile ride with just the back panniers the 2 days before I left on the train. I did manage to get in shape pretty quick, as anyone would if the only thing you did was ride your bike, but it was not a sweet time.
The lonely times were rough and the time riding with people passed the miles much faster. I would definitely find someone to ride with on the next trip. Riding alone is a learning experience but a lesson you don't need to learn more than once.
I broke more spokes and wheels than I had flat tires. I did not meet a another person touring that had broken a single spoke or had any real trouble with their wheels, but I had at least 50 lbs on all of them and I like to think that I ride harder than most(Machismo!!!). Valid explanation or not, breaking a wheel or spoke has a special way of ruining your day. Next time I will ride with motorcycle wheels if I have to, but I do not want to repair/replace anymore wheels.
The tent I brought was a 3 person dome tent that I had from before I planned my trip. I figured it was big enough to throw my stuff in if I needed to and I didn't see a single person tent that I thought I would fit in without having to curl up. Truth was, I touched either end of the 3 person tent even when laying on a diagonal and I never brought more than a book and a extra layer in the tent with me. The extra space just turned into extra weight and probably contributed to my wheel troubles.
Concerning money. Being unemployed and a recent grad, money was in limited supply. All I have to say about this is thank you for all of the generous graduation gifts and I couldn't have finished (or made it more than half way) without you Mom and Dad! Thank you!
I missed music. I had some music on my phone, but using the speaker drained the battery fast and finding places to charge it was as easy as finding a comfortable way to sit on the chaffing sores that, like water, covered 8o percent of the surface area of Uranus...or Myanus. Thank God for Chammie butter and padded bike shorts and damn me for thinking I could make it through the trip without them. Butt seriously, music would have been nice.
I crossed the country, visited 17 states, and aside from The Grand Tetons and the filming site of the Goonies had no idea where I would be passing through. I am sure that I passed some interesting historical sites or other random things that I would have been interested in, but I had no idea what was around me at any given time. With more research on where I was traveling, I feel that I would have had a better feel for the places that I rode through.

Was it what you expected:
Yes...to the 10th power. Everything seemed exaggerated. The good times were amazing and the bad time were MISERABLE. The climbing and headwinds were endless and the fulfilled food cravings were bliss. The country is a lot bigger than I ever imagined and stereotypes of people and places generally seem true. The West is massive and the people are accepting and considerate. The Midwest was boring but definitely had the friendliest and most accommodating people. The East is beautiful and full of itself. The common assumption that the wind generally blows West to East is false. From the start of Kansas to the Atlantic, I recorded only 7 days with a tailwind, and 2 of them were days I was riding North. Myth Busted!

What did you think about:
Yes, there is a LOT of time to think. You think about anything and everything but mostly nothing at all. Certain images might bring up memories of family and friends, familiar sights, and home, but for the most part you think of absolutely meaningless stuff. You make plans in intricate detail of what you will do, create and recreate experiences, and talk to yourself in every different voice you can make. I have planned every single detail of the house that I want to build someday and imagined how German's would perceive me different if I was David Hasselhoff. I have decided that if I was a superhero I would be Omega Red, picking up chicks (and life in general) would be a whole lot easier if I had a UPS uniform, my favorite food is donuts, Pepsi, boxer-briefs, if I had a million dollars I would go to the Zoo, my biggest fear is being paralyzed, this bike trip is the craziest thing I have ever done, and I share the nickname "Big Red," with 1% of the people on the planet, I am an endangered species, if I could be a mythical creature I would be a Gargoyle or a Gryphon, and finally, after much deliberation, my bike's name is Wilson. Yes this is a cliche name for the bike but I really like it.

Since I have completed what I set out to do, this will be my last post. I realize that many of you will have to find new things to read and ways to kill time at work, sorry. I will be joining you soon...I hope. That being said, I am selling a 2008 Jamis Aurora with just under 5000 miles on it. Thank you to everyone who has been following my blog and keeping up with me, I would have quit after the first week if it wasn't for you.

Billy Thorpe: For helping me to tune and clean Wilson before leaving
Keith Kleinfeldt: For telling my mother that I would be fine riding alone
Jerry Cuzella: For convincing my Mom that I would not be attacked by a bear
Bob and Claire Weaver and Hannah Callahan: For the amazing send off
Kathryn Redmond and Christie Costello: For a surprise package full of bricks...I mean books
Ed Kranz: For keeping encouraging me to keep riding
Chris in Eugene: For putting me up for a night
Gabe, Clay, and Tyler: for keeping me sane through Idaho
Barb, Steve, and Emma Kerr: For putting me up and the great advice on bike shorts and Chammie butter
Hyde Park Bike shop: Wheel set #2
Mike, Andrea, Kyle, and Cash in Lander, WY: For the most fun I have ever had with a bunch of strangers
Deedah: For finding my missing blog posts
Dorf: for the stove and headlight
Tim: for the pillow and the book
The Etzkorn Family: for a few delicious meals and a warm bed
Kevin, Fink, and Berg: for showing me all that St. Louis has to offer
Patty and Terry: for the cold beers and showing me egg and cheese sandwiches
Francis and Kevin: for the peaches
Kate McShea: for a fun weekend and taking me around to restock
Hannah and Jordan: For putting me up for a night
Ann and Stu: For the night's stay and helping me find a wheel
Keith: for letting me camp in your yard
Joy, Bill, and Tilly: For the hot dinner and restful sleep that carried me through till the end.

Most importantly thank you to my entire family and all of my friends for supporting and encouraging this ridiculous idea. I really would not have made it without all of you. I realize that my parents are included in that last group, but thank you to my mom Karin and my dad Charlie who were there for me in the through all of the good and bad and made sure I had the everything I needed to be successful on my trip.

Finally...I need a job. If anyone can find use for a fit and determined college grad, or knows of someone that can - Trucc903@gmail.com or (630)303-1635
I may even be willing to shave my beard...

I love you all!

Sincerely,
The Red Rider

5 comments:

  1. Marcus my boy!
    I am so jazzed that you finished and had a great time. I really enjoyed reading your updates and catching a little wisdom from my silly redheaded friend wandering around our vast country. Your words are insightful, hilarious and inspiring. If you sell that bike I will kill you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Marcus, on your accomplishment! We've loved following your blog and will miss reading it. We recommend that you buy a ticket to Europe and keep riding. Don't stress out too much as you enter back into the "indoor" world. It can be a tough transition being off the bike.
    Best wishes in your job search and please visit us in Idaho anytime.
    Barb, Steve, and Emma Kerr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God your done! Your posts were getting way too longwinded. But in all honesty, this post is by far my favorite and I think everyone in the Carroll Hall computer lab knows this. I barely realized that I was creepily giggling to myself until I got a strange look from a freshman girl. I later bursted out laughing as I imagined you on your bike in the middle of nowhere, talking to yourself in strange voices. I started to cry a little bit. I miss you my friend. Let's got to Baghdad for 4th of July to see climber Kyle. SWEET! SEE YOU THEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcus, congratulations on finishing this epic journey. Best of luck to you as you find where the next leg of life's journey is going to take you!

    ReplyDelete